Low Hill

I was going to argue about saving these buildings at the top of Low Hill, nothing special just nice. I was also going to say that I think the area does need some development to stop the bottom of West Derby road being cut off from civilisation. Well, it looks like I am getting the second but not the first. The area was covered in Mee's demolition posters and when I did a search of the council database I found. This Land at Low Hill Street Liverpool L6 1BP  . You can see on the map here, that the area used to have far more buildings and houses but part has now been replaced by a light industrial estate, on the up to date map the unused area can be seen.
Low Hill Brunswick Road 1955 colourised. Liverpool Picturebook
orginally by James (Gilex)

The remains of RT Hayes & Co Ltd, General Engineers
The bit at the left announces itself as the remains of Gregson's Well pub. It isn't the original Well at some point it has crossed the road. You can see some pictures here on Streets of Liverpool. The old pub was intact as recently as 2004.

This traffic island is badly in need of some greening, it just sits there like a vacant lot.

If I ignore the fact that the old bits are gone I think this is a very appropriate development for the area, it might be better as residential rather than student accommodation but it will free up some houses somewhere for nonstudent use.


I think of them as the modern day equivalent of the tenements like Gerrards Gardens that we lost.
If anyone can put a late request in to save at least the frontages it would be worth it.

Comments